Thursday, March 18, 2010

1-2-3 Red Light!

When I was a babe in Christ, I committed to memory several dozen Bible verses. However, being just a “babe”, I put all my effort into memorizing and not applying. I cherished Scripture and read my Bible every day; just as I do today, but at that time I thought that memorizing was the most important thing and that after I memorized Scripture somehow the action would naturally follow. Thinking upon it now, I suppose that my past mentality could compare with an Engineer or Computer Programmer who, after committing to memory years of teaching, just sits at their job looking at their project and expecting the problem to resolve by itself because they “know” what the textbooks say. I realize now how ridiculous that frame of thought was. I know now that doing “good” does not come natural; regardless of the amount of Scripture committed to memory; because there is a war going on within us (Rom 7:23). Also according to Romans 7:21, anytime we would attempt doing good- evil will be present to resist.
Being a babe in Christ I decided it would be good to clean up my vocabulary; not only of foul words- but all words that are graceless (i.e. complaining, criticizing, etc). So many verses abound within Scripture of the importance of our words; most significant I think is where Jesus tells us that our words would condemn or justify us (Matt 12:37).
One verse I committed to memory early on was Colossians 3:8-
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."
I concentrated on the last part of the verse dealing with words but the more I focused on “words” the more frustrated I would become. After fervent prayer the Holy Spirit revealed that I was pursuing a symptom rather than the cause. All graceless words can be traced to a root of anger or bitterness. The first thing admonished in Colossians 3:8 is to “put off… ANGER…” So I began to focus on controlling anger through the Spirit’s help. As I made anger my focus the words that plagued me with every slip no longer found a place upon my lips.
Years later now, my family and I were holding Bible discussions recently and I revisited this verse and the Holy Spirit revealed an excellent analogy for applying this verse. First off, let me say that anger of itself is not sin. Ephesians 4:26 says that when you are angry- do not sin. So I make this suggestion that when you become angry envision a stop light. The first light being red alerts you to STOP. Some may say count to ten here. The yellow light indicates to slow down and proceed with caution. I know that when driving some tend to speed up here trying make the intersection, but I urge you not to do this in handling your anger. This step is perhaps the most essential for it is in this step that you THINK. It has been well said that before you set your mouth in motion be sure that your brain is engaged. Use this “slow down” period to collect your thoughts and piece them together in a way that you can effectually and graciously communicate what made you angry, why it made angry, and how your anger can be appeased (this last step is essential for us men when we make you ladies angry... sometimes we are completely clueless). While still in this “proceed with caution” stage I recommend saying a prayer for help and guidance before going to the green light and actually communicating your thoughts.
Finally, I’d just like to share a revelation I experienced as I meditated on this topic. Proverbs 15:1 works miracles for me in dealing with conflicts. I had always viewed the application of this verse as being external in nature. Speak softly to someone and THEY will begin to calm or speak roughly and THEY will explode! But I discovered that this verse also has an internal application. If you graciously communicate your feelings YOUR own anger will ease but if you unrestrainedly, as a geyser, spew your words you will feel an increase in your anger and foster a heap of bitterness and self regret.
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. -Ephesians 4:29
May all our words fall softly as down upon the ears of those who hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment