Thursday, March 18, 2010

Even When A Bunny Pees On You...


In everything give thanks... -1 Thess 5:18

Just wanted to give a little encouragement to anyone when things just seem to be all working against you. Just several nights I was spending time with a little cotton tail bunny that I rescued after nearly hitting it with our van. I missed the bunny but it was so scared that it didn't run far away from the road after I swerved around it. The bunny was probably around three weeks old when I found it and I very appropriately named the bunny Miracle. Little did I know that just about three weeks after that night Miracle would live up to its name. I was letting Miracle run around on the sofa bed as I lay relaxing beside it. Miracle came up to my pillow and gave me "bunny kisses" on my cheek and then sat down beside me. About a minute later I experienced a warm, wet sensation coming through my t-shirt. You guessed it! At the time I was not feeling thankful. I wasn't angry, either; when you have bunnies or guinea pigs, pee happens. I had asked my oldest boy(14) to please get me another shirt. Being an experienced parent I realized that this request would indicate at least two more reminders and a time lapse of around ten minutes. So I returned Miracle to its living quarters and went to get another shirt. As I looked through my clothes I noticed the head section of a "toy" snake under a pants leg of a pair of my pants in the corner just about 12 inches from me. As I reached to get it so I could give it to my kids to put with their toys, I was stunned at how realistic this toy looked and I could not remember ever buying such a real looking snake for the kids. As Providence would have it, my hand stopped just two inches from the head of a two-foot long Copperhead. The battle that ensued took nearly 10 minutes of adrenaline pumped attack and defense as I was nearly bitten five times. All I had on my mind was the safety of my family. With the aid of a reacher/grabber, a machete, a high power pellet gun, and ceaseless prayer, I emerged victorious and unharmed by God's grace . The thought of different scenarios flashed through my mind had my son or any of my kids or my wife discovered the poisonous snake the hard way. I hope this encourages you to not be so quick to complain when bad things happen. God knows what He is doing and for those of us whom love God, we are promised that the final outcome will work together for good.
Now, one final word of hope... Miracles can and do still happen. If you have never seen a miracle in your life perhaps you don't know what to look for. My "Miracle" this time was about 8 inches long and 4 inches high with two long ears. Perhaps in order for you to realize your miracle you need to first be sure to "in everything give thanks..." Even when a bunny pees on you! Certainly, you don't thank God for the "wet shirt," but for the good that God promises will come out of it. Perhaps God would have you to learn patience and/or restraint in your circumstance so that He may bring you to perfection "lacking nothing"- James 1:2-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment